Thursday, March 08, 2007

Status Upgrade -- Serf to Peasant

i barely have time to blow my nose let alone update my motherfreakin' online fart diary. but item of note today: I MADE FRIENDS WITH THE IT GUY. as in the IT guy who controls what you eat, sleep and breathe in the workspace because he is Lord of the Domain, literally, the domains if you will, i.e., the G drive and all of its beloved and hated contents. it's not that gangsta though, don't be fooled by the big G.

anyway, long story longer, yesterday, i emailed Lord IT to help fix something that was BEYOND MY ACCESS PRIVILEGES. he didn't respond right away. i sent a follow-up email (like i'm not pestilent enough)...no response. so i called him. he didn't pick up. then shortly after the call, he sends me an email "i'm working on it." fair enough, IT guy! i'm not bustin' your chops. you could make or break all the work i've done so far in my piddly entry-level position.

today i send him an email. stuff still isn't working, sir, i'm going to have to go around it. (try writing something with authority but remaining humble. yeah, not so much.) then i leave the building in fear and hesitation. i come back to an email along the lines of "don't you do ANYTHING. when you come back to your desk, i want to be informed."

so i go, trembling and aquiver, to have a meeting with the IT Emperor. i am just one in a long list of peasant complainers. he is the king. he is sick of our whining. i try and facilitate smoothly my grievances and their resolutions. somehow! along the way! rapport is struck (like a hot iron)! he says: "oh you're a comedian, wow!" and some such things. i make jokes. he laughs. he makes jokes. i laugh.

finally, when i leave, he gives me some chocolate covered sunflower seeds to take on my long journey back to the 6th floor.

HOORAH! i'll still get taxes in the form of windows updates and constant rebooting, but at the end of the day, my head is somewhat secure on my neck (gulp gulp) for another few months.


The Reign of Error is over...for now!
Courtesy of Mayoff

PS -- he told me he was there when i called and he just didn't feel like picking up. normally i would be offended but then someone called while i was visiting him, and he pronounced "i don't want to talk to you right now!" mightily to the phone and we both had a good guffaw about it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey little brown face, what has responsibility done to your daily web rantings, and how could the eact opposite circumstances do the same to me. I miss you, and I wrote that across my ass, but got arrested trying to take the picture, but i didn't want the marker, I just used it that once... love in your ear! Grandypa Haynes arrives April 11 after berating phone workers in hydrebad, please apologize for me.

Anonymous said...

Hey little brown face, what has responsibility done to your daily web rantings, and how could the exact opposite circumstances do the same to me. I miss you, and I wrote that across my ass, but got arrested trying to take the picture, but i didn't want the marker, I just used it that once... love in your ear! Grandypa Haynes arrives April 11 after berating phone workers in hydrebad, please apologize for me.

Aparna said...

this was the best.