Friday, February 16, 2007

Context is Overrated

i love quotes. i think people have an awesome capacity to infuse profound meaning into pithy lines and crafty syntax. so without further ado, i want to share some of my favorite lines from humanity. so i hope you leave feeling great hope in the ability of man to transcend his natural boundaries and extend his knowledge to a timeless dimension.

11.

I have four brothers and two sisters.
~Kieran Culkin, actor

(really gets you thinking)

10.

I feel safe in white because, deep down inside, I'm an angel.
~P. Diddy (when he was Puff Daddy), musician

(this one's kind of spiritual)

9.

I have to tell these stories!
~Alan Bean, astronaut

(a short quote is worth a 1000 words)

8.

Logarithmic plots are a device of the devil.
~Charles Francis Richter, scientist

(i'm glad someone finally said it)

7.

I get some classical music on the 98 station.
~Charles Manson, criminal

(nice music choice)

6.

I am Patrick, a sinner, most uncultivated and least of all the faithful and despised in the eyes of many.
~Saint Patrick, saint

(this was from his AA meeting)

5.

And then when I went to Chicago, that's when I had these outer space experiences and went to the other planets.
~Sun Ra, musician

(this guy got around)

4.

I think I'm more difficult than critical.
~Mother Teresa, leader/public servant

(i don't know MT, i would say half and half)

3.

"Do not debate!" is one of my inventions.
~Deng Xiaoping, leader

(is "silence is golden" another one?)

2.

Name me an emperor who was ever struck by a cannonball.
~Charles V, royalty

(this guy's a trivia whiz, i'm stumped!)

1.

We had some good cameramen, and Hamish Hamilton, who did the direction, is very talented.
~Peter Gabriel, musician

(words to live by)

2 comments:

Kelly Wolfe said...

They should put all those inspirational quotes at the bottom of emails. Totally.

Hi, I found your blog because I just wanted to tell you what a great set you had at Topaz Thurs. night. I am officially a huge fan. And just today when the wind blew and hit my face and it froze, I thought of your joke.

Best Regards,
Lisa Fine

Aparna said...

Hi Lisa,

OMG. this comment made my day. WIND face. yesssss.
I left some words for you in other locales...

~Aparna