Wednesday, October 15, 2008

All in a Day's Smirk

Yesterday, I was incomprehensibly rude to somebody but I only realized it in retrospect. So now I am wearing my remorseful hindsight goggles. I had to walk with someone for a few minutes because we were both going the same way to our respective cars. So I tried overloading my brain with stuff to talk about so as not to have an awkward convo on the way over there.

What ended up happening was I kept interrupting him when he was making small talk with vast overly personal stories that left no room for another person's input or even reaction.

In case you thought that was bad, then I got to my car first and instead of offering to drive him to his car, I said "Well, see you later!" and then glibly hopped in my vehicle and zoomed away. Once I had driven for about 5 blocks I caught sight of him still trudging steadily onward toward his car. I am the worst!

Not to mention I had a 20-minute ride home and he had an hour-plus drive.

Oh well. I wonder if there are yield signs in purgatory. You thought I'd say hell! How dare all (two) of you.

#

Also there is one lone Smartie lying in the middle of the hallway outside my office. I can't even take a picture of it, the sight is so sad. Darkest omen of Halloween I've ever seen...

*

I figured out today that I am an office whisperer. When I pass someone in the hallway at work, I smile and usually immediately lower my eyes toward ground. That's standard procedure. No biggie.

But today, I realized when I do actually say something to them, in the form of a greeting or a "how do you do," I always whisper it. So as not to anger the productivity gods, I would imagine.

%

My coworkers practically called me a genius today after coming up with our department theme costume for this year's office Halloween costume contest.

It is a fairly simplistic, as-yet-confidential idea but they acted like I just pondered the theory of relativity while inventing electricity.

We then spent a nice inordinate amount of time coordinating how best to execute this group costume. I, and I think I speak for everybody, was thrilled.

I never really understand group costumes...or I never get them right away...

Here are some examples (in that last one, I think a woman is wearing blackface, but I'm not sure):

photo courtesy of Flickr and bradleyolin


photos courtey of Flickr and RBerteig

No comments: