Saturday, November 29, 2008

Life Likes Me, But Not in That Way

So today I went to the hair salon with my mother and sister for some Ya-Ya Sisterhood of the Traveling Sexy Pants in the City-type girl fun. I was actually just there to watch my sibling and parent get beautified, while I gaped like an unscheduled ogre in the corner.

But that's not the surprise-wow-cool part!

The exciting part is that my stylist who I have gotten a few haircuts from in the past (but have not seen for close to eight months) came up to me as soon as he spotted me and boldly pronounced, "I saw you on TV!!" in front of all the princesses and lala's in the room! (He knows I do stand up.)

Me: "Noo, where?"

Stylist: "On Last Comic Standing, you were in the New York audition, right?"

Me: "Yeah! It was just a flash of me!"

Stylist: "Yeah but still, really cool!"

So then I was floating for a good long while.

Oh, I'm getting more and more big-headed by the day!
photo courtesy of Flickr and Gentil Garçon [sombres présages]

Until I went to get a hot chocolate at the bakery next door and they straight up gave me a mocha without my knowledge! So purely by accident, I have fallen off the clean wagon again. And I sensed something was off but I kept drinking it, willing it to decaffeinate itself. Finally, I went back for an exchange, though my heart was racing like a...racehorse (from the espresso, natch).

However, the real customer service tour de force happened last night. My family went to a Chinese restaurant and when the fortune cookies were dealt, mine turned out to be a real brain-puzzler.

"A clever crow will always paint its feather black."

Our whole family couldn't come up with a satisfactory meaning for it so my mother asked for the manager. When the waitstaff started to look all worried, she added with exasperation, "No, it's not about you guys! The service was fine!! I just have a question about this fortune!" Which made us seem like real eccentric nitwits, I'll tell you that much.

In any case, the fortune's explanation was very reasonable. The smart man blends in and doesn't show off. Of course he does...you don't see a crow flying around with peacock feathers because that would be ridiculous. Also crows don't have peacock feathers but I guess that's neither here nor there. Also this entire entry proves I did not take my fortune's advice at all.

No comments: