Friday, January 02, 2009

Wii All Love Karaoke, Don't Wii?

I hope and trust that everybody had a good New Year's Eve and Day consisting of parties and/or staying in, plus ball drop (titter, but seriously, poor Dick Clark. What did he ever do to anybody?!).

I went to not one, but two New Year's parties. I don't say this to act popular, but merely to emphasize the fact of the phenomenon I witnessed at two different engagements. Furthermore, I cross-corroborated my findings with a friend this morning, and she said she also experienced this very same form of hoopla.

What is this social burden of which I do not type?

Why, karaoke-inspired video games, to be sure! Specifically Rock Band, American Idol, Guitar Hero, and any other sort of ilk that makes people who don't know you want to not know you even more, or if they do know you, they then proceed to regret it severely.

I am even sorrier to say that instead of participating in any singing activities or drumming on plastic plates (fascinating), I instead hoarded cheese and provided extremely muted back up vocals to all the games at hand, whether there was singing involved or not.

photo courtesy of Flickr and justephens
Hate mingling at parties? Try singing emotionally in front of total strangers and/or playing an instrument you have never mastered! Throw in some dance moves you are unqualified to do, and you're golden!!

People really get into that singing though. There was twirling and whirling; patting one's hip to keep rhythm; holding one's ear closed to get pitch; and some real sassy hats (onscreen only). Needless to say, I was very much out of my league. Especially when Simon, Paula, and Randy would start judging with their vacant, vapid, CG-eyes. No, thank you! I don't need my self-esteem battered further by a computer program.

To make matters far worse, my showing in Taboo was a hot mess. Emphasis on pathetic. Throw in a bit of flustered eyerolls and throwing up hands in disgusted air. I almost left the party at that point, tongue in cheek.

Here's a resolution for 2010, for whatever it's worth (on EBay). Improve my skills at party games.

I did win a round of Bingo, with mild cheating. Spicy!

No comments: